Sunday, December 1, 2013

GERMANY, Mainz-Koblenz Stretch. Amazing Rhein River.


        This past summer I began my European bicycle trip in Germany. Entire voyage took about 10 weeks covering 7 countries and about 2600 Kilometers. I decided to begin this fascinating trip from Rhein River.
I've been on this road before. But my earlier trips to this beautiful location were either too quick or I was just passing through on the way to visit friends. However, this time around, I really wanted to see and get to know the area closer. Details of the Rhein river between Mainz and Koblenz always got my attention and the history that this legendary stretch shared was intense.
I knew the Rhein river's length was 1,233 Kilometers and it crossed 6 different countries Switzerland, France, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, and Netherlands. When Rhine crosses all these countries, it's the longest in Germany. And in Germany between Bingen koblenz or Bonn is called Middle Rhein. This is the stretch also known to many as "Romantic Rhine" with its charming castles, fortresses, monuments, and beautiful  medieval towns and villages.

            Ohh the amazing stretch I would recommend to anyone. Photo: F.Aksoy

 The road distance between Mainz and Koblenz with a car is around 100km, but I was on a bicycle tour of Europe and on this part-I of my trip with a bicycle distance was around 120 km.


 During the cycling between these German towns along side of the Rhein River was amazing as I couldn't take my eyes off from a beautiful landscape, castles, gothic churches and cathedrals. There were also so many cruise boats on the river which were taking tourists around these towns. It was hard to believe the numbers of the cruise boat companies which were operating on Rhein River.

                     A historical and medieval town along the left bank of the Rhein River. Photo: F.Aksoy

    Along the Rhein river, there are towns from medieval years and there are so many castles, fortresses, cathedrals, churches. This route is historical indeed. Photo: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013
                                                   




The most interesting part of this stretch actually begins around Rudesheim. Rudesheim to ST.Goar Hausen and there are many other towns between such as Bingen, Assmanns Hausen, Trechtings Hausen, Lorch, Bacharach, Kaub, Oberwesel, ST.Goar then to ST. Goars- Hausen
. Actually, this little stretch it self was around 34 kilometres. But all these towns, castles, chateaus, fortresses  had a long history going back to years 912 and medieval times.

          This castle right after passing Rudesheim. Photo: F.Aksoy

But for me, cycling was the only way to travel around Europe. Over the years, from my earlier trips to 5 different continents were mostly backpacking and using what ever the type of transportation available from trains to busses. However, as I got more experienced, I realized that the best way to travel, see and experience places closer was "bicycling". Of course there are places I do go which it would be very hard or impossible to travel with bicycle. There were several mountains I trekked and climbed in the past and this would have been impossible to travel with a bicycle. Nevertheless, the continent of Europe is an ideal place for bicycles.



                     Schonburg Castle, Oberwesel, Rhein River, Germany. Photo: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013

Whether with boat cruise, car or bicycle, I would highly recommend this part of charming Rhein River to anyone who really wants to see the other side of Germany. This little 34 kilometres stretch between Rudesheim and ST.Goar Hausen (Cultural landscape) offers a lot.

                       The road between Bingen and Koblenz. And here is my loyal German Kalkhoff bicycle
                       Which took me all over Europe. At least 2600 Kilometers. I loved that bicycle.



   Medieval town Oberwesel. Photo: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013

  Again this video I captured in medieval town Oberwesel on the left bank of the Rhein river also clearly shows the Schonburg Castle. This video also located in my youtube account.

There are almost 50 castles and fortresses on this stretch and not to mention this area also known for its vineyards along the river they form the wine growing section of the Rhein River and Germany.
As you're riding your bicycle, or driving your vehicle or riding a train from Mainz to Koblenz on Rhein River, on the left bank of the river, important towns are: Bingen, Bacharach, Oberwesel, St Goar, Boppard. And on the right bank of the river: Rudesheim, Assmanmshausen, Lorch, Kaub, St Goarhausen. Braubach, Lahnstein. You can trace this region's history all the way back to Mid 1st Century to Romans where they settled around the middle-Rhein area.
I couldn't count all of these Germany's fairytale castles and fortresses on both sides of the Rhein River which was an intense view from bottom to top, but locals were telling me that their numbers are somewhere around fifty. This road or stretch was a fabulous place to start my European bike tour as I found out there is another hidden side of Germany. Yes, I would definitely come back again.

















No comments:

Post a Comment