Monday, December 16, 2013

Etretat, France and France's forgotten region:The fabulous north-west.


Once a small fishing town, Etretat is now a famous town because of its white cliffs, regions most famous rock formation needle, chalk formation, natural arches, and the famous GR-21 long distance hiking path which passes through here. It’s situated north-east of port city Le Havre. Again the route D-940 passes through here on the way down to Le Havre. As I mentioned on my earlier blog (Cap Blanc-Nez) about the spectacular route D-940 which brings you all the way down here is full of intriguing towns, spots, places and the never ending views. Traveling with bicycle also gave me an incredible advantage of seeing this beautiful north-west part of France and its amazing spots even close up.



Etretat and its white cliffs. This was the west side of Etretat. It was rather a warmer day and I couldn't help, but start swimming. Especially right after riding my bicycle hours and hours just to get here.  Photo: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013




This is the east side of Etretat. Of course you can hike up to the top and enjoy the view of the entire Etretat.
                                                                                                              Photo: F.Aksoy- Aug-2013 

Alabaster Coast which is an 80 mile stretch between Dieppe and Etretat is situated in upper Normandy. And
of course there is the famous town of Fecamp known with its high chalky cliffs between Dieppe and Etretat. And some of these white chalk cliffs reach up to 120 meters at places. Well, this whole stretch has so many white cliffs and in reality, I was hesitating how long to stay and where, what and how long. Entire area was intense and different which I became so infatuated with its physical beauty that I camped out in the open every night for 4 nights sleeping with the waves sound right next to me. I loved breathing that fresh air and the wind which was hitting me lightly. No one bothered me at the spot where I was sleeping. I felt safe and comfortable with my 0-Fahrenheit degree sleeping bag and air-therm-a-rest sleeping pads extremely light in weight rests on the grass with my bicycle locked up next to me while watching the waves coming down and hitting the shore and its cliffs.  Of course it wasn't the same spot where I slept every night. I slept one night in Dieppe, two nights in Fecamp and its surroundings then one night in Etretat before heading down to the city of La Havre. Every morning I would walk to a local French bakery and would fall in love with that smell inside the bakery. It would be very hard to make a decision what to eat and what to buy. There were so many baking goods to choose from. And at nights I would go to cafĂ© order seafood, try a glass of various 
French wines and then have a nice cup of coffee or a cup of tea watching the waves with an intense pleasure.

This is the film I captured from my headcam. I put this video on my Youtube actually. I was still on the road and about to approach to Etretat I began filming it on my bicycle. You can clearly see the town of Etretat and the west side as well as east side of the beach and white cliffs.  Video: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013
   
I can see so many people in their camper vans and cars coming from England, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and some Scandinavian countries.  I ended up meeting with so many people from different parts of the world here in Alabaster coast and before I knew I made several friends. Over the decades or I should say that I've been friendly and warm with others. This led me to meet with so many people from different countries and helped me to learn their cultures. Since my teen years the more I learned about the world, people and their cultures, the more I wanted to learn. And it was always this intense desire that I had/have to see the entire world with details. I’d have to explain the details of this subject later in a different blog. But now back to Etretat area.
  My loyal bicycle waits for me to make a decision to choose my destination. Of course it was Dieppe as I continued to adventure north-west France.     Photo: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013

  Etretat used to be a simple fishing village with its famous oysters, but later becoming one of the most visited sites for its natural beauty of cliffs. It was always a major curiosity for me to find out how these cliffs turned out to be white. Alabaster coast refers to chalky white cliffs, but when examined and analyzed later, it was salty rust. And the bruises of erosion brought by the heavy waves and relentless assault of sea, rain and gale-force winds battering these cliffs. Because of these strong physical forces which have been hitting on the cliffs of Etretat for so long, these cliffs has become fragile. And this is the reason Etretat’s needle rock and gateway arches are surviving ruins of perished cliff. Erosion is still a reality here and yet, we may see more perishing cliffs.

 When you arrive at Etretat’s village and its shores, you will notice pebble beach right away and either end of the beach, you will see the white cliffs. These two cliffs are called Falaise d’Aval and Falaise d’Amont. You’ll see them much better from these photos that I took and the video I filmed from my headcam.
I’m not trying to exaggerate, overestimate or brag about one of France’s most interesting corners in its map: north-west section. However, this beautiful part of France and the route D-940 is one of the must see spots of the world. This destination offer many coastal and inland spots with many attractions. North-west part of France is less crowded with hardly any population; it’s quiet and peaceful which even makes it more attractive to its visitors.
Thought Bretagne(Brittany) and Pays de la Loire, both are also regions which are located north-west France, and which I’ve been to, however on this blog I’m mostly concentrating regions of Nord pas-de-Calais, Haute Normandie(Upper Normandy) Basse Normandie(Lower Normandy). All the way up north from Belgium border, Dunkirk, Calais then following the beautiful route D940 to Cap Blanc-Nez, Boulonge-Sur-Mer, Reserve Naturale La baie de la Canche, Etaples, Le Crotoy, Criel-Sur-Mer, Dieppe, Fecamp, Etretat to the city of Le Havre. Then following the coast-line from Honfleur to World War II Normandy landing beaches: Sword Beach, Juno Beach, Gold Beach, Omaha Beach and Utah Beach. Of course I had to pay my respect to all these warriors who died very young during the amphibious landing. And now their graves are located at various locations in Normandy:  American military cemetery in Colleville-Sur-Mer, British military cemetery in Bayeux and German military cemetery in La Cambe. Then who can forget Le Mont Saint-Michel which is part of the UNESCO list of “world heritage site” and France’s most visited monument site after Paris. I will discuss this area with its beautiful photos on my other blogs which will cover Normandy amphibious landings and also the Mont Saint-Michel castle in separate blogs.


Again, this is the video I captured from my headcam while on the road with my bicycle. This is north-west of France. Actually when going downhill with this German trekking bicycle Kalkhoff you can reach up to 65 km an hour. North-west was full of hills, up and down up and down. This video is also on my youtube. Video: F.Aksoy-Aug-2013


      I just couldn’t get enough of north-west France. There were so much to do, so many points of interest and places to discover that I thought I should stay and spend a year in this region. But I just didn’t have that much time to spare. Although there were many hills on this fabulous route D-940, and in this region, still it was an ideal voyage for bicycle and I loved every minute of it. Many people are not aware of the stiff hills D940 route has and some think this area is a flat region. But in reality, it’s the opposite; this area consists of many hills.
Normandy region also has ferryboat accesses from and to England up to 4 locations: ports of Cherbourg, Caen, La Havre and Dieppe. The mix of spectacular coast-line later becomes sandy beaches and even several resorts. Then inland there are so many thousands of charming farms which includes Apple orchards and dairy farms. Produce goods: Cheese, apples, pork, seafood and duck. Not to mention its physical beauty with forest, wooded hills, white cliffs. This region also produces calvados: a distilled cider or apple brandy.
Despite the fact agriculture, tourism and industry has been the most important part of this region’s economy; nevertheless, because of this region’s long coastline and its many rivers, fishing is one of the many major income sources. And this area specializes in many seafood dishes. Region of north-west is also known by its other meat products: Lamb, chicken, duck and ham. But I can’t forget the recommendations of the French north-west government which lets us know some of their unique delicious regional specialty dishes: Shellfish, crustaceans, lobsters, mussels, crab and others such as oysters, scallops and crayfish. According to their recommendations, Seafood is basically laid on a bed of ice and seaweed then served with a light white wine called Muscadet, fresh rye bread and butter. Shellfish also can be served in a beurre blanc sauce made from butter, wine, and shallots. Because I was bicycling Europe during this trip, usually I would buy food from super markets, local bakeries or farms then camp out to prepare my food. However, at least three times a week I would eat out and I was able to stop at various towns and locations to taste some of these specialties and, yes, I was really impressed by their style of cooking, serving and not to mention the view from these outdoor cafes were intense.

West side of Etretat again I came closer by swimming on a warm day. Photo:F.Aksoy-Aug-2013

The route D940 from Calais to La Havre and other routes from upper Normandy all the way down to Mont-Saint-Michel lower Normandy have so many scenic views that take my attention from riding my bicycle. I do take my eyes off very often to watch this beautiful point of interests which are very distractive. My bicycle trip to 7 countries in Europe took me about 10 weeks to complete it. And I spent two weeks of these 10 weeks right here in north-west France. When I return back from my trip, many told me that was too much time to spend in north-west France. I simply told them “You do not know what you are missing”


  East side of Etretat once again. Photo: F.Aksoy

No comments:

Post a Comment